A Car Accident Lawyer Serving California Victims
As we travel the roads and freeways in California each day we don’t usually think about our own safety. Yet the dangers we experience behind the wheel are very real and perhaps more of a threat here than in any other state. Safety can be an afterthought as we try to get to school, or work, or to the store, but a careless driver can lose control or neglect to check mirrors and suddenly cause a scary collision resulting in serious injury.
Maison Law was founded by Martin Gasparian to protect innocent drivers in the aftermath of these difficult situations. Mr. Gasparian worked for large, nationwide corporations for a decade and got a first-hand lesson in how insurance companies maneuver for their own benefit and never for the benefit of the accident victim who has suffered and sometimes continues to suffer. Mr. Gasparian then started his own law firm to give accident victims in California a voice and to make sure they are informed of their rights and given the power to demand what’s fair. These are things an insurance agent definitely won’t tell victims about.
If you have been the victim of a serious collision caused by another driver, don’t leave your accident claim in the hands of an insurance adjuster. Contact Maison Law no matter where you are in California for a free, no-obligation evaluation of the circumstances of your case. By having legal representation you’ll let an insurance company know that they can’t dismiss your physical, emotional, and financial hardships.
California Driving Dangers Each Year
When you’re behind the wheel in California, your trip can be threatened by extreme weather, natural disasters, and even the bad condition of road surfaces that may have gone unrepaired for decades. You can also face drivers who are distracted by their phones or recklessly speeding and changing lanes. And, way too often, you can face motorists who are traveling under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
You can confront these hazards on any given day on California freeways and streets. The Insurance Institute Of Highway Safety (IIHS) found that California’s number of fatal accidents in 2019 led the entire nation in this unfortunate statistic. Our state recorded 3,316 deadly accidents in total resulting in the tragic loss of 3,606 lives. Texas was second on the list with 3,294 recorded fatal collisions. Florida was third with 2,950 fatal crashes over 2019.
California is notorious for its traffic congestion and reckless drivers, but it doesn’t matter if you’re on a packed freeway when your collision occurs, a narrow city street, or on a long stretch of farmland highway. The number one concern will be your physical recovery from that accident. Once that is addressed, your financial recovery will also become key to rebuilding your life. Unfortunately, insurance companies won’t be working quickly to make up for the mistake of their policyholder.
Insurance Pitfalls for California Accident Victims
If you are hit by another driver, you will be stuck dealing with the insurance provider the driver has chosen to carry if they carry any insurance at all. If they don’t have insurance you may be left to deal with your own insurance company trying to get help through your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.
There are dozens of national and local insurers available like Geico, Progressive, and Mercury Insurance and they all operate under the same strategies. Keep a victim confused and ignorant of their true rights.
There are several ways that insurance firms weaken a victim’s claim and their resolve. These are a few of their tactics.
- Stall Tactics: Insurance companies can say that they are experiencing a high volume of accidents and ask you to wait patiently for them to respond to your claim for damages or to make you a settlement offer. This dragging of the feet is often just a trick to let your hospital invoices and monthly bills, like car payments and rent, build up. The longer you have to face those bills and calls from debtors, the more doomed you may feel. Insurance companies want to get you desperate.
- Low Settlement Offer: They stall so that you’ll be desperate enough to take any amount they offer in settlement. When you’re facing thousands of dollars in bills each month and not able to work, any “lowball” offer may look good to you. An experienced lawyer will spot these stall tactics and lowball offers and challenge the insurance firm on their bad faith practices. Insurance companies can start to move much faster when an attorney threatens to take them to court.
- Shedding Blame: Insurance adjusters may look for ways to pin the blame in an accident onto you. They do this to either get you scared enough to dismiss your claim or to accept some of the blame in an accident. Don’t fall for it. They could check your driving record to try to make you seem like an unsafe driver. They might get their hands on medical information to show that you’ve had a similar injury in the past. These are all weak arguments that a legal expert on your side will disprove immediately.
- Use Your Statements Against You: Another tactic is to call you shortly after an accident under the guise of checking on your recovery. An insurance representative actually wants you to give a recorded statement. Don’t give anyone a statement. Politely decline. Insurance agents are looking for you to say something they can use later to discredit your account of what happened. Let your attorney handle all communication for you. It saves you stress and it protects your case.
Common Types of Car Accidents in California
While accidents can happen at any time under any circumstances, there are some common types of accidents that we see regularly at Maison Law. If you have been injured in one of these common accident types, click on the name for additional resources to answer your specific questions.
Common Injuries In California Traffic Collisions
You’ll be fighting insurance companies for fair compensation for your accident. It’s an important step in your recovery because it doesn’t just affect your immediate health and economic stability.
You could have serious injuries that require surgery a year down the road and further physical therapy. You might have a disability that forces you to seek a new career. The costs of job training and medical equipment for travel and home life can add up. All of these costs should be factored into any settlement from an insurance company. They will be factored in if you have an attorney making sure every detail is included.
These settlements are vital for victims and their families because the injuries in car accidents can be so severe and affect everyone’s life down the road. Here are a few of the most common injuries seen by emergency room doctors every year:
- Brain and head injuries: Severe concussions, skull fractures, brain bleeding, and scalp wounds can all result after taking an impact on the head. Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) can leave the brain bruised in a collision with the inside of the skull. The symptoms can be memory loss, light sensitivity, and seizures along with other complications.
- Spine, neck, and back injuries: Whiplash (a violent tossing of the head back and forth) can leave victims unable to turn their heads. Spinal vertebrae can be fractured in the impact with an airbag or the tug of a seatbelt. Back and spine injures can leave victims facing a permanent disability.
- Broken Bones: Fractures can occur in just about any part of the body. The clavicle is one of the most commonly broken bones in an impact. It’s the most fragile bone in the body and runs across the top of the ribcage. The fibula (lower leg) and femur (upper leg) are often broken when a car ends up partially crushed.
- Soft tissue injuries: Muscles, tendons, and ligaments can all tear or bruise. This tissue connects and holds different organs and other body parts in place.
Contact a California Lawyer Who Finds Relief for Car Accident Victims
If you or a loved one are seriously injured in an accident caused by a careless driver, you might wonder if you’ll have to cover the cost of recovery alone. According to California Law that should never be the case. If you didn’t cause your accident, the person who did and their insurance provider should be front and center to lift those financial burdens off your back.
Unfortunately, insurance companies will make the journey to return to your normal life harder than it has to be. They will have experienced adjusters and agents attempting to weaken your case every step of the way. Make sure you have an attorney from Maison Law watching over every document exchange and communication you have with them.
After an accident involving a serious injury or the tragic loss of life in California, contact attorney Martin Gasparian for a free, no-obligation case consultation for your family. Mr. Gasparian takes a hands-on approach to every case and only gives victims advice that’s in their best interest.
Frequently Asked Questions
What if an at-fault driver lies and says I was to blame for an accident?
Your attorney will make sure you have a strong case that proves your innocence. The sooner you talk to a lawyer the sooner your lawyer can start gathering evidence, police and medical documents, and witness testimony to leave no doubt of who was to blame.
How long can I wait to file an accident injury claim in California?
You should file as soon as possible. California allows victims to delay up to two years from the date of the accident before they file. Waiting months or years to file can be a mistake because evidence and witnesses can become harder to find the longer you wait.
What kind of damages can an accident claim cover?
Hospital bills and lost wages at work. Accident claims can also ask for reimbursement of travel costs for numerous doctor and surgeon visits. Your emotional trauma and your family’s hardships can also factor into a settlement.
To learn more about the specific damages linked to your case, call our office at 559-203-3333 to schedule your initial consultation with our firm. At Maison Law, we believe victims of avoidable accidents have rights. Get in touch with us as soon as possible to learn about yours.