Texting while driving is an incredibly dangerous and self-centered behavior that places a driver and anybody around him or her at a dramatically increased risk of an accident resulting in serious injuries or death.
Experienced Legal Representation For California Texting and Driving Accidents
If you were injured, or if you lost a loved one as a result of somebody who was texting while driving, Attorney Martin Gasparian and Maison Law can give you the experienced legal representation you need to recover compensation. Throughout our years of practice, we have extensive experience in dealing with texting and driving accidents. We can use our experience and knowledge to help you navigate this difficult time and how to preserve and protect your right to compensation for your damages and losses.
To learn more, contact us for a free consultation.
Texting and Driving in California
Texting while driving is one of the most common forms of distracted driving. Simply put, texting and driving causes accidents and serious injuries. The California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS) reports that it’s against the law to use a cell phone or similar device while it’s in your hands while driving on any roadway in the state. It’s a simple matter of public safety.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says that texting while driving is the most dangerous form of distracted driving as it requires three forms of distraction at the same time. Those are:
- Visual distractions when a driver takes their eyes off of the road to use their device.
- Manual distraction when the driver takes one or both hands off of the wheel to use the device.
- Cognitive distraction when the driver takes his or her mind off of the task of driving safely.
Dangers of Texting and Driving in California
While texting and driving is a relatively new phenomenon, distracted driving is not. Still, texting and driving is among the most dangerous actions you can take when you’re behind the wheel of a car.
Although relatively new, the effects of texting and driving have been widely studied due to the danger and thousands of accidents caused each year. These studies have uncovered several enlightening statistics as to the dangers of texting and driving:
- Timing – Studies show that it takes approximately five seconds to read a text message. Obviously, five seconds is a long time when you’re behind the wheel. Trying to read a text significantly cuts down your reaction time in the event that the car in front of you suddenly stops. Thus, looking down at your phone to read a text takes your attention off the road and causes accidents.
- Increasing odds – Texting and driving nearly doubles the odds that you will be involved in a car accident. In the five seconds that it takes to read a text message or look at your phone, you or other drivers are not focused on the road. Not only does this lead to collisions with other drivers, but it can also lead to a host of other accidents like running over curbs and sidewalks or running into trees and other objects.
- Texting and driving is more dangerous than drunk driving – This is possibly the strongest statistic in showing the danger of texting and driving. Studies found that texting and driving is six times more likely to cause an accident than even drunk driving.
In terms of texting and driving in California, a 2021 Public Opinion Survey from the OTS found that 74.3% of Californians identified texting and driving as their biggest traffic safety concern. Distracted driving countermeasures include paid media education campaigns that inform the public of the dangers of distracted driving and encourage drivers to travel free of distractions.
Common Injuries in Texting While Driving Accidents
According to the National Safety Council, about 390,000 injuries occur in texting while driving accidents every year. These injuries are often severe in texting while driving accidents because distraction prevents a texting driver from recognizing a hazard on the roadway and slowing down or stopping to avoid it. Here are some common injuries suffered in texting while driving accidents:
- Traumatic brain and spinal cord injuries.
- Multiple fractures.
- Damage to internal organs.
- Damage to spinal discs.
- Abrasions and deep cuts with the likelihood of infection.
- Wrongful death.
Damages in Distracted Driving Cases
For purposes of maximizing a distracted driving victim’s settlement or award, we carefully consider the circumstances surrounding the accident along with how it has affected our client. Maison Law wants every possible type of damages included in the client’s case fully compensated. Damages included in a texting while driving case will likely include the following:
- Emergency room, hospitalization and rehabilitation bills.
- Earnings lost as a result of the accident.
- Any permanent disfigurement or disability.
- Pain and suffering.
- Loss of enjoyment of life.
- Funeral and burial expenses plus other substantial damages in the event of wrongful death.
Suffering injuries as a result of a texting and driving accident is extremely frustrating. Even if you can show that the other driver was distracted by their phone, you still have to prove that to the insurance company or a jury to recover the compensation you’re owed.
Sometimes, this can be difficult. However, our team of experienced California texting and driving accidents knows how to best position your claim and has years of experience in negotiating with insurance companies to get full and fair compensation.
Contact Top-Rated California Texting and Driving Accident Lawyers Today
In seeking compensation for the damages that you suffered in a texting while driving case, there are two things that you need to realize right away. First, the opposing insurance adjuster isn’t your friend, and he or she will try to take control of your case from the start. Next, no matter how concerned that the opposing adjuster seems about your situation, it’s his or her job to pay you as little as possible as compensation for your injuries.
When trying to represent yourself while recovering from the injuries that you suffered, you’re likely to make mistakes that will substantially devalue your claim. Don’t relinquish control of your case to the party who wants to pay you as little as possible.
Contact us at Maison Law right away after being injured in a texting and driving accident anywhere in California for a case consultation and evaluation at no cost at all to you. Unlike the opposing insurer, our objective is to maximize the settlement or award that you deserve.