The possibility of a car accident can worry any driver, but the thought of some of the biggest vehicles on the road in your path can be terrifying.
Trucks of all weights and sizes crisscross Turlock day and night. Often the drivers are on the job delivering, hauling, transporting across Central Valley. Those tasks can be tiring and can also be distracting for a truck driver on the clock. These factors can all lead to a frightening accident.
Hazards from Large Trucks on Turlock Roads
No matter how careful a driver you are one of these big rigs could end up causing you to get in an accident. And as you’d expect, the outcomes are much worse for anyone in a passenger vehicle during these collisions. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) found that in 2017 there were 4,761 deaths in accidents involving large trucks across the country. 72% of those victims were occupants in the other vehicle. 10% of the victims were non-passengers like pedestrians and bicyclists.
You could be the victim in a collision between a car or SUV and a big truck. You might find yourself with serious injuries, unable to go to work, and looking at a lengthy recovery. A complete change in your lifestyle may happen because of a careless decision by a truck driver.
In these cases, you’ll want to contact a Turlock Truck Accident Lawyer. The attorneys at Maison Law can help you gather details on the driver who caused your accident and the company he or she works for. These details will help you gather evidence for a claim against all the parties who are liable in your accident. This is how you’ll get the help you’ll need to pay for your recovery.
Common Causes of Large Truck Accidents
The trucks you’ll encounter on the roads can be big-rigs or dump trucks, or box trucks or trucks used on a farm, etc. A collision with one can leave you or a family member seriously injured and the accidents can even prove fatal. Victims and families will likely want to seek help in paying for their damages and losses. In order to obtain that compensation, they are required to prove that a person or entity was careless and negligent and caused the crash.
Here are some of the common causes of crashes involving 18-wheelers and other large trucks:
- Distracted Drivers: Long hours behind the wheel can become monotonous. That can tempt a driver to use a mobile device to talk, text, play games, or even watch a television show.
- Excessive Speed: When a large truck is exceeding the speed limit, it takes even longer to come to a complete stop. Stopping can be even harder when the weather plays a role.
- Fatigued or Drowsy Driving: Strict federal hours of service rules are in place. Truck drivers can only be behind the wheel for 11 hours. These rules help prevent driver fatigue and allow drivers to get sufficient rest.
- Maintenance Issues: This is most often seen in the context of tires and brakes. We’ve all seen the debris on roadways, proof of the problem.
- Driving Under the Influence: Alcohol and drugs cause poor judgment, affect reaction time, and affect depth perception. No one who has consumed alcohol and/or drugs should be on the road.
- Overloading or Improper Loading: Overloading can cause tire blowouts and cause brakes to wear and fail. Improperly loaded cargo can affect the trailer’s center of gravity, making it unstable.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who do I sue if I was hit by a semi-truck?
In most cases, big truck owners have much larger insurance policies than the average motorist. If you are hit by one, then you can sue the owner of the trucking company or the driver of the truck (if the driver is an independent contractor). In both cases, you have to prove that the driver was negligent when he or she hit you.
How long do I have to file a truck accident lawsuit?
In California, if you are injured in a truck accident, you have two years to file your lawsuit. This starts from the date of the injury (which is usually the accident date) and if you miss that deadline, it could mean that you forfeit your right to get compensation for your injuries.
What type of damages can I get if I get hit by a commercial truck?
Under California law, anyone injured by a commercial truck can seek compensation for all injuries and financial losses that came from the accident. The most common are medical bills, pain, and suffering, missed time from work, mental anguish, future lost wages, permanent disability, and damage to the vehicle.
Contact a Turlock Truck Accident Lawyer
After an accident involving a serious injury involving any type of large truck, speak to an experienced Turlock Truck accident lawyer such as Martin Gasparian for a free consultation and case evaluation. Mr. Gasparian takes a hands-on approach to every case. He believes that every client should work directly with their lawyer, get honest advice, and personalized attention to detail their case deserves.