Careless drivers cause vehicle collisions on a daily basis around Turlock and across Central Valley. The amount of physical and financial damage they inflict on innocent victims is sometimes too much to calculate.
There’s also the emotional toll suffered by injured victims and their families. The situation can be especially heartbreaking when the driver to blame doesn’t remain on the scene of a crash and instead drives away to try to escape responsibility.
At Maison Law of Turlock, our attorneys want to support and guide hit-and-run victims throughout their recovery. Finding justice may seem hopeless as you cope with your injury and attempt to pay enormous medical bills, but our attorneys can help make sure you don’t face the consequences of a hit-and-run accident alone. Contact us for a free consultation after a hit-and-run incident to talk over your best route to finding compensation for your injuries.
Hit-And-Run Accident Dangers in Turlock
According to California’s Transportation Injury Mapping System, Turlock saw 47 accidents involving a hit-and-run driver in 2019. Those accidents left 57 people injured. Most of those accidents involved only vehicles, but nearly 13% of those collisions involved pedestrians and bicyclists.
California officials find that hit-and-run cases are at all-time highs across the state. CBS-13 TV found that within the last five years the state has reported the highest hit-and-run accident numbers ever. The Times-Herald reports that over a five-year span 40% of hit-and-run cases in the Bay Area have gone unsolved.
The sad problem affects people here in Turlock and across the country. The injured victims get stuck with the costs of someone else’s mistake. Hit-and-run drivers may have been driving under the influence or may already have outstanding violations that they want to avoid facing. They may not have a valid driver’s license or they may not have proper insurance coverage. Whatever the reason, driving away from an accident leaves only tragedy behind.
Injuries Commonly Seen in Hit-and-Run Accidents
Emergency room doctors see the results of automobile crashes every day. The outcomes can be severe, especially when an unprotected pedestrian or cyclist is the victim. There’s the risk of a debilitating injury and a high risk of death in these crashes. Hit-And-Run drivers can leave victims bleeding and unconscious at the wheel or lying right on the street.
These are some of the most common injuries and results of accidents reported:
- Neck Injuries: Whiplash is a common injury. Damage can extend to the vertebrae making up the cervical spine (neck region of the backbone).
- Deep lacerations: Internal and external bleeding can lead to fatality if not stopped quickly.
- Punctured Lungs: Broken ribs and chest compression can lead to damage to the lungs and heart, affecting the vital organs necessary to draw breath.
- Heart Attack: The stress and adrenaline of a hit-and-run accident can cause the heart to go into overdrive.
- Pregnancy/Delivery: A forceful collision can put a pregnant woman into labor endangering the mother and the unborn baby.
Your Compensation Options After a Hit-And-Run Accident in Turlock
In hit-and-run accidents, there are usually two outcomes for victims seeking some assistance with the hardships they face after their heartbreaking crash. The driver may be located and arrested after a witness comes forward or perhaps surveillance footage manages to identify the car involved. There’s also the unthinkable, that the driver never has to face justice for his or her crime.
In either case, victims can usually earn compensation after filing a claim for damages.
- The hit-and-run driver is found – Once the driver is apprehended you may file a civil lawsuit against his or her insurance coverage. This claim can demand financial restitution for things like hospital bills and rehabilitation costs. You can also earn compensation for any missed time at work or time you are likely to miss in the future. Other financial and emotional hardships can also be considered. A hit-and-run driver will also be facing criminal charges and a trial at some point, but your civil claim will be separate and can move forward at any time.
- The hit-and-run driver escapes justice – Your personal car insurance policy should save the day. You can file a claim against the “uninsured driver” coverage on your policy. This claim can also help you recoup your losses. The thing to watch out for will be your own insurance agent trying to get you to accept a lowball offer. Even though it’s your own insurance firm, they’ll still attempt to get out of paying a big settlement. An attorney working on your case can make sure they can’t treat you like the enemy.
Contact a Turlock Hit-And-Run Accident Attorney
Finding out the at-fault driver sped away from your accident scene can be hard enough, but then to realize you are expected to pay for your own expensive recovery in an accident you weren’t to blame for can be overwhelming.
Insurance companies can take advantage of victims no matter how tragic the circumstances, but an attorney from Maison Law in Turlock can make sure you get what’s fair in compensation for your bills and for your physical and mental suffering. Contact our attorneys today for a free consultation and case evaluation.