Focused on getting our clients the compensation they need...

How to Get an Accident Report in Los Angeles

A frightening crash on a Los Angeles Freeway or on a busy city street can leave you with a lot of questions. Does the other driver have insurance? Who is at fault?

Fortunately, when police officers or highway patrol officers are on the scene, they’ll be writing up a collision report on your accident. Information on the other drivers involved and their insurance coverage should be spelled out.

The report should also have the investigating officer’s determination on who was at fault in the crash. This report can be a powerful piece of evidence for your case when you attempt to hold the at-fault driver responsible for property damage and any injury recovery expenses.

To make sure an insurance company doesn’t unfairly blame you for a collision, Contact Maison Law serving Los Angeles and all of Southern California.  You are entitled to a free legal consultation that comes with no obligation to you. If you’re hurt and wondering how to hold the driver responsible for your accident accountable, call us immediately.

Getting a Police Accident Report in Los Angeles

If you have a personal injury attorney working for you, your attorney will be securing this report for you. For property damage-only car accidents, your insurance company may also be requesting this report.

Before requesting your collision report, the Los Angeles Police Department asks you to keep two things in mind.

  • Traffic Collision Reports that involve an arrest, fatality, or juvenile cannot be released online and must be requested through United States Mail.
  • Before attempting to obtain a copy of a Traffic Collision Report online, please allow a minimum of 45 days from the date of the collision to allow the report to be reviewed and approved for release.



If a Los Angeles Police Officer worked your accident, you’ll be required to go to the LexisNexis BuyCrash website to obtain your collision report.

You can enter your personal information and your accident report number to pull up your data. The responding officer should have provided your report number on the scene of your collision. Your BuyCrash report will likely cost you around $11.

By Mail

To request a report through the United States Mail, download and complete the Traffic Collision Report Request and return it with a $16.00 check or money order payable to the LAPD (do not send cash) to:

Los Angeles Police Department
Records and Identification Division
Document Processing Unit
P.O. Box 30158
Los Angeles, CA 90030

Download the Traffic Collision Report Request Form

If you are unable to print or view the form, please make sure your written request includes:

  1. Type of report – Traffic
  2. Requester’s Name, Address, and Telephone Number
  3. LAPD Report (DR) Number and/or Incident Number, if known
  4. Requester’s Date of Birth
  5. Name(s) of party(ies) listed in report
  6. Date and Time of occurrence
  7. Location of occurrence
  8. License Plate Number and State of Registration of involved vehicle(s)
  9. Your interest in the report (i.e. involved party, authorized representative, insurance company, or parent/guardian). Include release forms for authorized parties and insurance companies and proof of relationship for parents/guardians.
  10. Include the declaration, “I declare this statement is true and correct, sign and date your request.”

California Highway Patrol Accident Reports

If the California Highway Patrol worked your accident, perhaps along Interstate 5, you’ll visit the California Highway Patrol website to obtain a report request form.

Complete the form and deliver it to the CHP office closest to where your accident happened or mail it in. There are three CHP offices around Los Angeles that will likely be your closest branches.

(565) West Los Angeles

6300 Bristol Parkway

Culver City, CA 90230

(310) 642-3939

(590) Central Los Angeles

777 West Washington Blvd

Los Angeles, CA 90015

(213) 744-2331

Southern Division

411 N. Central Avenue

Glendale, CA 91203

(818) 240-8200

Do I need a lawyer after an accident in Los Angeles?

When accidents involve only property damage and minor injuries, obtaining a personal injury lawyer may not be necessary. Vehicle repair or replacement is a fairly standardized process and insurance companies generally treat victims fairly.

However, when you or a loved one have suffered a serious injury, the financial support needed is dramatically higher. That means insurance companies will fight even harder to get out of accepting responsibility for their policyholder.

It’s important that you safeguard your rights and the rights of your family by discussing your case with a skilled Los Angeles Car Accident Lawyer. After an accident that leaves you or a family member seriously hurt it’s important to discuss your options with a legal professional.

Leaving your recovery up to an insurance company will only work out in favor of the insurance company. Contact Maison Law of Los Angeles for a free case consultation to make sure you are aware of all of the benefits available to you.

Call Now Button