Los Angeles cyclists on Sepulveda Boulevard enjoy stretches of bike lanes and some buffered bike lanes. But riders also know they are still at extreme risk whenever they must ride alongside cars, trucks, and SUVs, unprotected from careless drivers.
With no separation from fast-moving lanes of traffic, cyclists can be forced into violent collisions to suffer serious injuries. It’s critical that all Los Angeles bicycle accident victims receive the best medical attention available. And when a reckless driver is involved, no rider should face the costs of recovery alone.
Contact a Sepulveda Boulevard Bicycle Accident Attorney for a Free Case Consultation
If you or a loved one are hurt in a bicycle collision along Sepulveda Boulevard, don’t trust an insurance company to automatically provide the support you need. They may present a hastily prepared injury settlement offer, but please take the time to consult with a legal professional before you sign away your rights on a “lowball” offer.
Talk over your case with a skilled Los Angeles Bicycle Accident Lawyer in a free consultation. It’s a critical step in determining what you’ll need to rebuild your life and get back on your bike again. Maison Law is a strong advocate for ride safety for all cyclists. We are also proud sponsors of the Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition. We strive to see injured cyclists get the support they need to make a full physical and financial recovery.
Sepulveda Boulevard Bike Accident Dangers
Drivers on Sepulveda Boulevard can make some dangerous mistakes and cyclists are often affected the most by these bad decisions. Motorists can glance at a cellphone and not realize they’ve veered over on a cyclist on the right side of the lane. They can also fail to check in all directions before pulling over into a bike lane to make a right turn.
Restrictive bike paths along parts of Sepulveda Boulevard in western Los Angeles often force cyclists to ride while sandwiched between the rush of traffic and a wall of parked vehicles. They have little room to escape if someone is in their way.
The design also leaves riders vulnerable to “dooring accidents.” A dooring accident occurs when a parked motorist swings a door open in front of someone on a bike. The results of a cyclist traveling at full speed hitting a car door are often devastating.
Victims may suffer broken ribs, collarbones, or breastbones. They might also suffer a fracture in their arms and legs. Traumatic brain injuries of varying degrees of severity are also common. Recovery can take months and cost tens of thousands of dollars. It’s why it’s so important that victims speak with an experienced Los Angeles bicycle accident lawyer to learn how to maximize their bicycle injury settlements.
What to Do After a Sepulveda Boulevard Cycling Accident
With injuries that can be so severe, victims must seek full compensation after a Sepulveda Boulevard cycling accident. Victims must total their immediate medical costs, but also consider the healthcare they could need in the months to come. The car insurance companies shouldn’t be allowed to simply cover the expense of a night in the emergency room and leave the costs of care over the coming weeks to the victim.
To ensure insurance adjusters aren’t able to make up excuses to reject a bicycle accident claim, it’s important to bring as much evidence to the negotiating table as possible. A Sepulveda Boulevard bicycle accident attorney will be investigating your cycling crash and gathering evidence to build a strong case. However, the best evidence may be the proof only victims on the scene will have access to.
If you feel strong enough after your collision, try to gather a few important elements on the scene of your cycling accident:
- Call for an ambulance. Dial 911. Let paramedics check out every pain you have and don’t hesitate to take a ride to the emergency room if necessary. If you can’t remain on the scene ask someone with you or find a witness to ask for help in gathering evidence.
- Have LAPD officers respond to your accident scene. Inform them of how the accident occurred. Tell them about any mistakes the driver made, and if you saw the driver talking on a cellphone or otherwise behaving recklessly. Officers will file a collision report you can use as evidence later.
- Use your cellphone to completely document your accident in photos. Take pictures of any damage to the vehicle such as a broken window or any dents. Show your damaged bike and any visible injuries. Take pictures of bike lane markings and other traffic signs that are relevant to your accident.
- Get driver’s license and insurance information from the motorist involved. If the driver works for a delivery company, a rideshare, or any business, try to get work information.
- Talk to witnesses about what they saw and make a note of what they tell you. Get their contact information so that your Los Angeles Bike Accident Lawyer can locate them for testimony later.
- Look around to determine if any nearby homes or businesses may have security cameras. Provide your attorney with the addresses so footage can be requested.
- Schedule an appointment with your doctor and get in as soon as possible. Get all injuries from your bicycle accident injuries documented. Mention any new pain that arises a day after your accident. Sometimes the shock of a crash can mask an injury until a day or two later. Follow all of your doctor’s recommendations and see specialists that are recommended to you.
- Preserve evidence. Don’t wash or throw out your damaged clothing or shoes. Hang on to your bike and don’t get it repaired until your attorney says it’s okay to do so.
What Can I Receive Compensation for After a Bicycle Accident on Sepulveda Boulevard?
Any insurance injury settlement over a Sepulveda Boulevard bicycle accident must provide financial support to victims for as long as pain and economic hardships persist.
A Los Angeles cycling accident lawyer will total every medical bill for clients and get accurate estimates for the cost of care anticipated in the future. These estimates may include the costs a rider could face with a permanent physical disability to cover care over a lifetime.
Victims will also seek compensation for the lost wages while the victim must miss work. The trauma of physical pain and emotional distress may also factor into a bike accident settlement agreement.
There are also benefits available to families forced to endure the tragedy of losing a loved one in a bicycle crash. A wrongful death claim is filed on behalf of a spouse or partner, and the children of the victim. This civil claim seeks assistance with funeral costs and in replacing the income the deceased can no longer provide the family.
Contact a Sepulveda Boulevard Bicycle Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one suffer a serious injury due to the careless actions of a Los Angeles driver, don’t allow an insurance company to determine what you’ll receive in compensation. A cycling collision along Sepulveda Boulevard might leave you off your bike for months, unable to work, and with no way to pay your growing hospital bills.
Make sure you are treated fairly by insurance companies by knowing what your injury is worth. Take advantage of a free case consultation from Martin Gasparian, the founder of Maison Law. This evaluation with a real Los Angeles attorney comes with no obligation to you or your family. You should seek the support you need to fully recover and get back on your bike again.