Los Angeles residents trying to journey downtown for work, for exercise, or for fun may find Main Street a good travel option. The major route runs all the way from Wilmington, north through the Civic Center area, and then curves east to end near Lincoln Park.
Along the way, there are some bike lanes (both protected and unprotected) to keep riders safe, but they can’t offer 100% protection from the wildest Los Angeles drivers. Riders are constantly at risk of careless motorists pushing them out of a lane or turning in front of them. The scary collisions that often result can cause devastating injuries.
A Free Consultation with a Los Angeles Main Street Bicycle Accident Lawyer
When Los Angeles cyclists are forced into dangerous collisions with vehicles, it’s critical that they receive the financial support they need to fully recover from injuries.
If you or a loved one are the victim of a serious bicycle accident on Main Street, speak with a Los Angeles Bike Accident Lawyer before talking to a car insurance representative. It’s a no-risk way to find out how to keep insurance companies from purposely limiting the compensation you receive as you deal with a difficult recovery. Reach out to Maison Law to schedule a free consultation on your case today.
Main Street Bicycle Accident Dangers in Los Angeles
Los Angeles bicyclists on Main Street will encounter many different types of lane conditions and levels of risk along the more than 20-mile long route.
Main Street riders enjoy protected bike lanes through at least a mile and a half stretch. StreetsBlog LA reported on the installment of upgraded lanes in 2019. These lanes are set apart by plastic pylons and rows of parking spaces from 9th Street and north to Cesar E. Chavez Avenue.
North of this span, cyclists are generally forced to ride along with traffic. South of 9th Street there are some stretches of traditional bike lanes, but they put riders very close to vehicles. They also leave them vulnerable to people swinging car doors open as they get out after parking.
No matter the security offered by bike lane features, inattentive drivers still commonly cut cyclists off when making right turns and left turns. Motorists often claim they checked for oncoming cars, but missed the smaller profile of a rider. This is an excuse for failing to look long enough before turning.
These and other mistakes routinely leave bicyclists on Main Street with serious injuries. Victims may be off their bikes for months and be unable to work for weeks. The financial hardships that arise should be the worry of an at-fault driver’s insurance providers. A skilled Los Angeles Bicycle Accident Lawyer works to deal with frustrating insurance tactics to secure full compensation while the victim is allowed to heal
What To Do After a Los Angeles Bicycle Accident on Main Street
On the scene of a Main Street bicycle accident, you’ll have to immediately see to the care of your injuries. But, afterward, if possible, you should begin to gather important evidence.
The scene will be the place to collect valuable proof of what happened that may quickly be removed once the scene is cleared.
There are some key elements to secure on the scene. There are also some things to avoid doing that may hurt your injury claim later:
- Dial 911. Get examined by ambulance crews and go to the emergency room if necessary. Tell LAPD officers everything you remember leading up to your Main Street bicycle crash. Include if you saw the driver looking at a cellphone or driving recklessly.
- Take plenty of photos. Get images of your bike damage and of the damage to a car. Show where you struck the car. Show bike lanes and other traffic markings that demonstrate the driver’s mistake. Take pictures of any visible injuries and display your helmet if you’re wearing one. If you have to leave the scene, ask a helpful witness to take pictures for you.
- Check nearby businesses or homes for the possibility they had security cameras rolling. Jot down the addresses so your Main Street Bicycle Accident Attorney can request footage.
- Talk with witnesses about what they observed and get contact information.
- Get checked out by your physician soon after. The shock of an impact can mask injuries that may not show up until the day after your incident. Get all new pain examined and follow your doctor’s orders.
- Don’t comment on how badly you’re hurt or on who was at fault when talking to the driver. If people hear you say “I’m okay” or “my bad,” insurance companies will twist these statements to damage your injury claim later.
- Don’t throw out evidence. Hang on to your damaged bike and damaged helmet if you have one. Preserve your damaged and bloody clothing and shoes.
- Don’t speak to insurance representatives before consulting with a skilled Los Angeles bicycle accident lawyer. You need to know what your injury is worth so that insurance companies can’t try to rob you of fair support. Also, avoid giving recorded statements to insurance representatives who will call you after an accident. Only offer basic information. An attorney working on your side will handle the communication with insurance agents and will work to maximize the settlement check they’ll send you.
What Kind of Compensation Can I Expect After an L.A. Bike Accident on Main Street?
Your Main Street bicycle accident attorney will compile a full list of every damage you and your family have absorbed. Every hardship you’ve faced must be included so that you can maximize the amount you’ll see on a cycling accident settlement check.
These and other factors will determine the levels of compensation you can expect in recovery:
- Help with medical bills now and those anticipated in the future.
- Estimated lifetime costs for victims who must adapt to life with a permanent disability and who may never be able to return to work or ride a bicycle again.
- Wrongful death benefits. Families who have lost a loved one in a Los Angeles bicycle collision can file a wrongful death claim to receive support with burial expenses. They’ll also earn help replacing any income the deceased used to provide for the family.
- Physical pain and emotional trauma suffered in the accident and during recovery.
- Compensation for a loss of enjoyment of life.
- Compensation for a loss of consortium (the loss of intimacy with a spouse.)
- Travel costs getting to and from doctor visits and surgery consultations.
- A new bike and equipment replacement.
- The replacement of all lost earnings and benefits at work while the victim is in recovery.
Contact a Los Angeles Main Street Cycling Accident Lawyer
Main Street collision victims and their families have up to two years to file an accident claim. However, it’s critical to bring your case to a Los Angeles Bicycle Accident Attorney as soon as possible. The longer you wait the more difficult it gets to track down evidence and locate witnesses.
Contact Maison Law of Los Angeles for a free, no-obligation consultation. It’s a no-risk way to find out what your bicycle accident injury is worth and what you should demand from an insurance company. Don’t depend on an insurance adjuster to tell you about every benefit available to you and your family.
Maison Law is a strong advocate for safe rides for all cyclists. We are also proud sponsors of the Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition. We strive to see injured cyclists get the support they need to recover and get back to riding as soon as possible.