2nd Street runs through downtown Los Angeles and its path takes drivers, pedestrians, and cyclists through the well-known 2nd Street Tunnel. The tunnel is also the home of the very first protected bike lanes in all of Los Angeles. According to Streetsblog Los Angeles, they were installed in 2013.
People on bikes enjoy this buffer from the rush of traffic for almost half a mile. Then they must continue on with much less protection on sections of 2nd Street with traditional bike lanes or with no bike lanes at all.
Bike lanes offer some safeguards for those on bicycles, but they can’t guarantee safety from careless Los Angeles drivers. A mistake by a motorist can send riders into devastating 2nd Street accidents and leave them with traumatic bicycle injuries.
A Free Consultation for Los Angeles 2nd Street Cycling Accident Victims
If you or a loved one are hurt in a bicycle collision along 2nd Street’s narrow lanes, don’t trust an insurance company to automatically provide the support you need. Insurance adjusters won’t tell you about every benefit available to you and your family.
Talk over your case with a skilled Los Angeles Bicycle Accident Lawyer in a free consultation. It’s a critical step in determining what you’ll need to rebuild your life and get back on your bike again. Maison Law is a strong advocate for ride safety for all cyclists. We are also proud sponsors of the Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition. We strive to see injured cyclists get the support they need to get back on their bikes and also recover financially.
Common Types of Los Angeles Bicycle Accidents
Riders are sent into frightening crashes every day on Second Street and other busy boulevards in Los Angeles. And it’s commonly the same few mistakes made by reckless drivers that cause all the harm to cyclists.
These are just a few of the most often reported types of 2nd Street bicycle accidents:
- Left Turns into Oncoming Cyclists – Motorists looking to make a left-hand turn can get very nervous as they look for a chance to dart across the opposite lanes. They may only take a fleeting glance at oncoming traffic and hit the gas when they think they have an opening. Unfortunately, they don’t always take the time to spot a cyclist coming directly at them.
- Right Turns on Bike Lanes – It’s an unfortunate design flaw that leaves drivers having to cross into bike lanes to make a right turn. They can jerk the wheel to get over and fail to check mirrors and blind spots first. They may strike a rider or pull in front of a cyclist with no room to spare, leaving the rider without space to stop to avoid a rear-end collision with the vehicle.
- Dooring Accidents – Cyclists must often travel on the right side of the right lane, along a line of parked cars. A car occupant might make zero safety checks before opening a door in front of a cyclist traveling at full speed. It’s a wall of metal and glass for a cyclist to hit head-on. These accidents also occur when delivery drivers and rideshare workers park on bike lanes.
- Reckless and Aggressive Driving Mistakes – Downtown Los Angeles is home to some of the most reckless drivers in the world. They can travel 30 mph over the posted downtown speed limits. They can switch lanes without looking in any direction to see if the way is clear. These mistakes may threaten a cyclist’s life. When no bike lanes exist, riders have just as much right to the lanes as a car. Yet, drivers often don’t know the law or they may just not care until they endanger a cyclist’s life.
Getting the Most Out of Your 2nd Street Bicycle Accident Injury Claim
After becoming the victim of a Los Angeles bicycle crash caused by a careless driver, you’ll want to carry as much evidence as possible from the scene. First, call for an ambulance and the LAPD. If you are well enough, take photos of the scene and get contact information from witnesses. This evidence will force a car insurance company to accept blame for their policyholder.
You’ll also work with your Los Angeles Bicycle Accident Attorney to create a full list of every damage you suffer and every bill you receive. Anything left off this list when you file a bicycle injury claim won’t earn compensation.
These hardships and others should factor into any insurance settlement offer:
- Past and future medical bills.
- The estimated cost of a permanent disfigurement suffered in a bicycle collision.
- The estimated cost of a permanent disability over a lifetime.
- Pain and suffering. This includes the emotional trauma a cyclist will be put through. Victims may battle severe anxiety about getting back on a bike again. Victims might also face a serious loss of enjoyment of life as an injury keeps them off their bikes.
- Past and future lost earnings while missing work.
- Repairs to bicycle or replacement.
- Wrongful death benefits for families who lose a loved one to a careless driver’s mistake that leads to a bike accident.
Contact a Los Angeles 2nd Street Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Contact Maison Law of Los Angeles for a free, no-obligation consultation after a serious bicycle accident. It’s a no-risk way to find out what your bicycle accident injury is worth and what you should be holding an insurance company to. Don’t depend on an insurance adjuster to tell you about your rights and every benefit available to you and your family.
Martin Gasparian, the founder of Maison Law, fights to make sure 2nd Street bicycle accident victims are never left to face the consequences of a careless driver’s mistake alone. Cyclists must receive full support from the moment an injury occurs until the day victims can return to their bikes and the rides they love.