Stockton boasts a booming population of well over 300,000 people. That’s means a lot of families call this thriving agricultural and manufacturing hot spot home.
The happiness of those families and every resident of Stockton is vitally important, but their wellbeing and safety are also a priority. Unfortunately, our busy lifestyles can lead to exposure to many dangers in our normal, everyday lives.
Residents can face personal injury dangers at work, in class, on a shopping trip, and definitely on busy Stockton freeways and highways.
Take Advantage of a Free Consultation After an Accident in Stockton
A personal injury claim can be necessary after any accident caused by the negligence of an individual, a property owner, or a business entity. This can include a driver who hits you from behind. A grocery store owner who leaves a spill out for you to slip on or an apartment management company that refuses to fix a crumbling stairwell that sends you for a tumble.
The injuries you and your loved ones suffer in these careless accidents aren’t just your burdens. The insurance companies representing at-fault individuals and corporations must be called upon to provide support through every hardship you and your family face in recovery.
Contact the Offices of Maison Law. We offer a free case evaluation to personal injury victims to help determine the level of support they should demand. Tell us what happened to you in a confidential consultation session so that we can determine your best options for getting the compensation you need in recovery.
Common Personal Injury Threats in Stockton
Getting behind the wheel for a drive across Stockton may be the most dangerous thing we do most days. Careless and reckless drivers can travel at interstate speeds while on the narrowest of streets. You are at risk when you are in another vehicle, on foot, on a bike, or on a motorcycle.
You or a loved one may be injured in an impact. A police investigator could clear you of blame. This should mean the at-fault driver’s insurance company would have to cover every medical bill you face. Unfortunately, car insurance companies work harder at avoiding taking responsibility than they ever do supporting victims in need.
Personal injury claims are also vital when a roadway accident involves a commercial vehicle. This can include a rideshare or delivery driver, as well as a truck driver. These drivers may have very limited car insurance policies, but their corporate employers will carry much more in coverage. It may be possible to demand financial support from both the employee and the employer to earn full financial coverage while you heal.
Beyond traffic collisions, here are some other types of personal injury cases we handle for Stockton victims:
- Agricultural and Manufacturing Accidents: The San Joaquin Valley and Central Valley are blessed to have such fertile soil. Farmhands working in those fields can face enormous risks each day. Employees counting on work in local manufacturing plants to support their families also face similar dangers. When accidents occur, it’s critical to hold employers and insurance companies responsible for every hour you miss from work. This liability applies to construction companies and any workplace where employees are hurt through the negligence of others.
- Premises Injuries: Local stores and supermarkets in Stockton can have puddles in aisles that may cause a slip-and-fall that sends you to the ground to fracture a hip. Property owners and landlords of apartment complexes are also responsible for your safety. Theme parks must see to every ticketholder’s safe journey in and out of the park. An injury at a government building or a city park might leave the city of Stockton liable and force them to provide compensation to help with your recovery costs.
- Product Liability: The products we buy in stores and bring home are supposed to be certified as safe for you and your family. Yet, appliances, tools, and utilities can all malfunction and cause harm to a loved one. This can leave the stores selling these products liable. Liability also falls to the manufacturers and the designers of certain products.
- Wrongful deaths: In the most tragic accidents, loved ones may be tragically taken from us. No price can be placed on human life, but the family members left behind should be supported as they grieve and attempt to rebuild their lives. The costs of a funeral and any medical expenses incurred before death should be covered by insurance companies. The income that’s been lost that the victim provided the family each week must also be part of any settlement in a wrongful death case.
Personal Injury Liability in Stockton
Personal injury cases are allowed after accidents because of the legal “duty of care” people owe everyone around them. Target and Walmart owe you a hazard free path through their stores. Your employer owes you a safe environment to work in. A truck driver owes it to you to take extra care when making a turn or changing lanes.
When this duty of care is neglected, responsible parties should be held liable for every dollar you spend trying to heal and return to your normal way of life.
To prove negligence was a factor in your accident you must demonstrate these elements existed:
- The parties liable for your accident owed you a duty.
- The parties breached that duty.
- The parties’ breach of duty caused your accident.
- The accident caused your injuries.
- You suffered legally recognized damages.
These factors seem simple enough, but they become much harder to prove when an insurance company decides they want to dispute your claim.
Insurance companies work to transfer blame to you, despite what any accident report says. Their goal is to get you to drop your demands for fair compensation or to get you to accept far less than what you’ll need to pay for all the damages involved.
Do I Need a Stockton Personal Injury Lawyer for My Case?
When the injuries to you or a loved one are anything above some bumps and bruises, you will likely benefit from having a personal injury lawyer handling your case.
Skilled personal injury lawyers protect you from the “bad faith” practices of insurance companies. They investigate your accident and gather evidence to make sure insurance adjusters can’t get away with simply dismissing your claim.
Experienced attorneys also won’t let you sign off on a “lowball” settlement offer that will leave you paying for your medical care out of pocket down the road. They have a much better idea of the expenses you’ll encounter in recovery and potentially in the years to come than you will.
Your personal injury lawyer will fight to maximize the compensation you receive because it’s the best way to protect you and your family from future hardship.
What Can I Receive Compensation for After a Personal Injury in Stockton?
Your Stockton Personal Injury Lawyer will be working to earn you and your family the maximum in compensation for what you’ve been through.
They’ll be fighting to earn a fair settlement offer from the at-fault party’s insurance representative. To do this, your attorney will need to list everything you’ve been through when filing a claim. This includes every hardship you or a loved one has faced due to a negligence act.
Your lawyer will list standard damages experienced by all victims after an accident. Your lawyer will also document some hardships you may not have thought of. Every damage you claim and can prove will earn you more in compensation.
These are just a few examples of what factors into an insurance settlement offer:
- Hospital and injury rehabilitation expenses.
- Past and future lost earnings.
- Costs associated with a long-term or permanent physical disability.
- The physical pain and emotional anguish you endure.
- Loss of enjoyment of life.
- Loss of consortium (intimacy with a spouse).
- Damage or destruction of property.
- Travel costs while visiting doctors and surgeons. Shuttle services providing special care.
Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer Serving Stockton Victims
After being injured in an accident that was caused by the carelessness and negligence of somebody else, preserve and protect your rights. Contact a Stockton Personal Injury Lawyer at Maison Law for a free consultation and case evaluation.
We promise to listen to you carefully, and we’re going to answer your questions too. Then, we’ll be pleased to help you determine the best approach to earning you and your family the financial support you will need to rebuild your lives.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do I have to file my personal injury claim after a Stockton accident?
California sets the statute of limitations on a personal injury case at two years. Wait any longer and your claim will be thrown out. Contact lawyers about your case as soon as possible so they can begin an investigation while evidence is still fresh.
What if I am hurt in a government building or in an accident involving public transportation?
Seek legal counsel if you’ve been injured in an accident involving a government employee, a city vehicle, or a public location. Injury cases involving governmental departments can be especially complicated and often have much shorter deadlines for victims to file an injury claim.
How much is my personal injury case worth?
There is no set award for compensation because each case is very different. These factors play a role in how much you receive: The severity of the injury. The length of recovery. The time you miss at work. The insurance limits of the at-fault party.