Maison Law represents runners who are struck by careless drivers while jogging. We also protect victims struck by trains in frightening collisions while out for a run. Our personal injury lawyers immediately go to work to hold careless drivers or transportation companies responsible for every recovery cost. We want runners back on their feet again as soon as possible. Please contact us to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with a real California lawyer and find out what your injury is worth.
When Do I Need to Call a Train Accident Lawyer?
If you are seriously hurt after being hit at a train crossing or after taking a fall on a hazard created by a train or train operator, you should speak to a personal injury lawyer. If you suffer a broken bone or head trauma, medical bills will be high. These costs usually make insurance companies reluctant to accept full blame for an accident the train industry causes.
Insurers can look for ways to blame pedestrians for their own accidents. Insurance adjusters could find doctors who will testify that injuries aren’t as bad as they seem. They do this to make it possible to offer victims as little in support as possible, or no support at all. Your California train accident lawyer makes sure you are protected from these tactics and then demands the most for your injury possible.
California Train Dangers for Runners
Runners in California already deal with a lot of risks as they take a morning jog in California. They must sometimes cross streets in front of careless and distracted drivers. They must dodge potholes and broken sidewalks to avoid twisted ankles and dangerous falls.
Crossing railroad tracks may also prove hazardous. An equipment malfunction may put a runner in danger of being struck by a train. A train operator’s negligence could put pedestrians and motorists in danger of a collision.
These and other hazards can leave private train companies and nationally run trains like Amtrak fully liable for the injuries they cause:
- Train operator error. A train operator may not stop for obstacles ahead even when they have the chance to.
- Railroad crossing malfunction. Cars and runners may see an indication that it’s safe to cross tracks when a train or a train maintenance vehicle is approaching.
- Trip-and-fall hazards. A damaged track running across or along a street may provide a hole to grab the foot of a runner to cause a sprain or a broken leg bone. A fall could cause something as serious as a hip injury, leaving runners off their feet for months.
- Parts from trains flying off to hit a runner.
- Hazardous substances from trains harming a nearby runner.
- A confusing train crossing may contribute to a careless driver in a car striking a pedestrian.
Who Can Be Held Responsible After a Runner Is Struck?
A claim against a train owner or operator can force injured victims to take on city municipalities, the State of California, and even the U.S. Government. When dealing with government entities, cases can become very complex and almost impossible for a single victim to navigate alone.
Amtrak is owned and operated by the Federal Government. The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) operates several rail lines across California.
LA Metro controls public transit, trains, and subways in Los Angeles. Bay Area Rapid Transit operates several trains through San Francisco, Oakland, and the Bay Area.
Your California runner accident lawyer will be vital in determining what transportation and city departments can be held liable for your injuries. Your lawyer must also monitor important deadlines for you. Federal, state, and city government agencies enjoy strong protections against litigation. Victims are often allowed only a few short months to alert a government agency they intend to file an injury claim. Victims must meet these shorter deadlines or give up their right to seek support.
An accident involving a freight train or a freight line might involve a lawsuit against BNSF Railroad or Union Pacific, two transportation giants. These companies keep corporate lawyers at the ready to fight back anytime someone wants to seek help for an injury. These lawyers will be denying every link to an accident and their employers. It’ll be important for you to have a Maison Law representative on your side to balance the scales. You’ll want a lawyer with experience in taking on major companies and corporations and putting pressure on them to do the right thing.
Compensation Available for Runners Hit by Trains
Joggers out for a run don’t deserve to have a major accident end their runs for weeks or even forever. It’s critical that victims receive the best care available for as long as necessary. They should never have to worry about how much that care will cost.
A California pedestrian accident lawyer ensures that every hardship victim endures is included in an injury claim. A settlement that completely covers these damages should be the only thing acceptable. Backed with evidence and powerful negotiation skills, a lawyer will be seeking full compensation through a settlement check and be ready to take a train operator to court if they refuse to make things right.
These and other benefits should all factor into a train accident settlement check:
- Current medical bills and those expected in the months to come.
- Lifelong support for a permanent physical disability after getting struck while jogging.
- Support for physical pain and emotional trauma. This includes the anxiety and depression a difficult recovery could cause you. The PTSD symptoms you suffer from a violent train accident should also earn support.
- Loss of wages and benefits while you are unable to work.
- Travel costs to get to medical appointments.
- Wrongful death benefits for families. Close relatives such as a spouse or children of the victim may ask for financial help after a deadly train collision. They should receive help in paying funeral costs and medical bills. A wrongful death claim also seeks to protect the family in the future by replacing the steady income the deceased can no longer contribute to the family.
Contact a California Running Accident Lawyer
If you have been seriously injured in a running accident caused by a train or a train operator, don’t wait to explore your options. There may be very short statutes of limitations on when you can file an injury claim when dealing with the federal government or a local municipality.
Contact Maison Law for a free consultation after any injury involving a pedestrian accident anywhere in California. Our case reviews come with no obligation. But if you decide we can help you earn more for your running injury, you won’t need to have any money to hire us. We don’t get paid unless we win your case for you. Then our fee comes out of the settlement money you are awarded.