Whether you’re driving along the coast, a mountain pass, or along Rodeo Drive, you can encounter a bad driver around any corner in California. If you’re drawn into a serious collision, you’ll get the other driver’s license details, but more importantly, you’ll be jotting down their insurance information.
Once you find out that the driver is covered by an insurer like Farmers Insurance, you’ll have to depend on their representatives for help with your injury recovery. Placing too much faith in the goodwill of Farmers Insurance can leave you completely abandoned and left to cover your own hospital bills.
Farmers Insurance Tactics After California Accidents
Their website claims that 4,000 people a day switch to Farmers coverage. That’s great for business, but it doesn’t help you when you’ve been hurt and you are looking to get assistance from Farmers. It would be nice if they cared enough to provide compensation soon enough for you to avoid bankruptcy from all of the hospital bills you face.
Unfortunately, Farmers will be more interested in finding reasons to deny your claim and saving money to pay for expensive television commercials. You will file a claim for damages against the at-fault driver’s coverage, but Farmers can purposely lay this claim aside and make you wait.
They’d like for you to become desperate as you miss more and more paychecks at work while trying to heal. You could be out of savings and having trouble staying current on car payments and rent. Farmers adjusters hope this pressure is enough to make you more vulnerable to their first lowball settlement offer.
Do’s and Don’ts After An Accident Involving a Farmers Policyholder
Make no mistake, after you are in an accident with a Farmers policyholder you will be under investigation, even when you are completely innocent in the accident. They’d love to find something to allow them to cancel your claim for compensation.
With the obstacles Farmers’ adjusters will be throwing in your way to keep you from proper compensation, it’s vital to construct a strong case that they can’t cast doubt on. There are a few actions you can take to prevent insurance agents from playing games with your recovery:
- Call for police and an ambulance: Even if you don’t feel pain right away, call for help. The shock of an accident can mask pain. Paramedics can document any potential injuries. Police will be creating a collision report that will prove to be valuable evidence in your corner.
- Collect evidence: If you are strong enough, take your phone and grab pictures and video of the scene. Show the car damage, street signs, and lane markings. Take pics that show the weather and that illustrate the time of day. Gather information from the other driver and find out how your personal injury lawyer can contact any witnesses later.
- Discuss your case with an attorney: There’s no harm in using a free consultation with an experienced car accident attorney to find out if you’re missing out on benefits an insurance company hasn’t told you about. Your injury may be worth much more than Farmers is willing to admit. A legal expert will also alert you to important deadlines involving California statutes that affect your accident claim that you should know about.
- Avoid making statements: Farmers’ representatives will call you, but don’t assume they are just being nice. They are seeking a recorded statement from you. Don’t allow them to trap you with their questions. Decline to give a statement. Farmers can use these statements later to tear down your case. Let your legal representative handle all communications with insurance agents and lawyers.
- Stay off of social media: In the same way your statements can be used against you, your Facebook and Instagram posts can also jeopardize your case. You may want to let everyone know about your accident and the stupid driver who caused it, but these pictures and captions can be used to discredit you later. Farmers could also attempt to use your photos to show any activities you appear to be participating in as evidence that you aren’t injured.
- Don’t accept lowball offers: Don’t sign off on any settlements without running it by a personal injury attorney. You could be giving up thousands of dollars in compensation you’ll need down the road for medical care. Once you sign an insufficient settlement, you won’t be able to return to Farmers for more money when you have an injury flare-up and require surgery a year from now.
Contact a California Car Accident Attorney When Dealing with Farmers Insurance
Attorney Martin Gasparian created Maison Law to give everyday people the opportunity to stand up against major insurance companies and seek the compensation they need.
Insurance companies will have well-trained adjusters and lawyers working to force you to accept as little support as possible or no compensation at all. But you’ll have your own legal expert on your side, ready to turn the tables on large insurance companies in your favor.
Contact Martin Gasparian for a free strategy session on your case. Find out how to secure the compensation you’ll need to make a full recovery and to rebuild your life.