California cycling enthusiasts wouldn’t trade their rides for anything. It’s the same for those who use bicycles to get to work or class, or for family recreation time.
Unfortunately, the freedom experienced when traveling under our own power comes with some true risks when venturing near California traffic. Local drivers can be reckless and they can also ignore the rights of everyone else on the roads.
Their actions can send a cyclist into a devastating crash and, in the worst cases, victims can suffer head wounds. A Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) is a common diagnosis for California cycling accident victims. They can be debilitating and victims need to be aware of the support that’s available to them after a crash.
Schedule a Free Consultation with a Los Angeles Traumatic Brain Injury Lawyer
If you suffer a severe blow to the head due to a driver’s mistake, take action to ensure you don’t get left with the costs of recovery. A traumatic brain injury will cause physical symptoms and often some intense emotional consequences as well. These hardships must all factor into any brain injury insurance settlement.
Contact Maison Law to schedule a free case consultation and learn about every benefit available to brain injury patients. It’s a chance to talk with a real California Traumatic Brain Injury Lawyer about what happened and learn what your bicycle accident injury may be worth.
Traumatic Brain Injury Dangers After a California Cycling Accident
Traumatic brain injuries are caused by blows to the head that affect brain function. A TBI can result in a mild concussion or cause a major disruption to the patient’s control over the body.
Bicycle accident victims can strike their heads on the vehicle that hits them. They can continue on to hit their heads on the pavement. Cyclists are then still at risk of being hit by a vehicle while on the ground. TBIs are even possible when the head doesn’t get hit. This happens when another part of the body is struck hard enough to jar the brain.
TBIs can be closed injuries, such as a bump to the head. They can also be open or penetrating injuries, such as when the skull is fractured and bone fragments are pushed into the brain.
- Brain Bleeding — Traumatic brain injuries can result in internal bleeding when impacts cause blood vessels to rupture. Blood clots form and leads to strokes.
- Diffuse Axonal Injuries — A blow to the head causes the brain to twist or slide back-and-forth in the brain. This motion can serve to tear the long connecting fibers that let neurons flow to the brain and allow patients to control their bodies.
- Concussions – Generally a mild form of TBI. Concussions can cause blurred vision, sensitivity to light and sounds, headaches, and a ringing in the ears.
- Brain Bruising — Also known as contusions. These injuries often accompany concussions.
Any TBI can cause serious symptoms such as mood swings, seizures, vomiting, and amnesia. It is critical that bicycle accident victims seek to maximize the injury support they receive in a Traumatic Brain Injury settlement. Doctors don’t always know how long symptoms will last or if there is permanent brain damage involved. Cyclists don’t want to find themselves in the operating room a year after an accident with no way of asking an insurance company for additional support.
How Can I Get the Most Out of My Bicycle Accident Traumatic Brain Injury Claim?
Your California Bicycle Accident Attorney will prepare an insurance claim that’s as strong as possible and backed with hard evidence.
Some of the best evidence will be found on the day of your bicycle crash right there on the scene. If you are feeling up to it, you should take as many photos as possible, show your bike, your bicycle helmet if you are wearing one, and the damage to the car. Take pictures of any visible injuries and clothing damage.
You should also get contact information from witnesses and note the presence of security cameras at nearby businesses or homes.
When your lawyer feels your case is ready, you’ll be filing your claim along with a list of everything you expect compensation for. Your list will include these factors and some things you may not have realized can earn you bicycle accident settlement money:
- Past and future medical bills. This can include the costs of physical therapy sessions to relearn speech, motor control, and improve memory after a traumatic brain injury.
- Past and future lost earnings. Potential costs of training for a new career if a permanent disability keeps victims from performing their former job duties.
- Pain and suffering. This includes the emotional trauma suffered in a cycling accident and in recovery. A loss of enjoyment of life over being away from a bike can earn support.
- Travel costs. These expenses can be enormous if you are off your feet and unable to drive when required at doctor appointments.
- A new bicycle.
Contact a California Bicycle Accident Traumatic Brain Injury Lawyer
Speak with a skilled California Bicycle Accident Attorney after a bicycle accident leaves you or a loved one with a Traumatic Brain Injury. It’s important to know about every benefit available to you and your family because an insurance representative won’t be informing you about your options.
Contact Maison Law for a free, no-obligation consultation. It’s a no-risk way to find out what your bicycle accident injury is worth and what you should be holding an insurance company to. You are under no obligation, but if you hire us, we work tirelessly to secure enough support to pay for the best care available and enough so that victims can rebuild their lives.