Cyclists in California already face plenty of hazards when they ride alongside careless drivers. Foggy conditions just multiply the dangers for riders along city streets and rural roads.
Drivers who should already be monitoring the lanes for potential cyclists should become even more cautious when entering a patch of fog. Unfortunately, some drivers don’t adjust their speeds for low visibility situations and end up putting riders at increased risk of injuries.
Once a collision has occurred, injured bicyclists must be able to trust that an at-fault driver’s auto insurance provider will offer full recovery support. Insurance companies often try to blame mother nature rather than help, but a skilled California Bicycle Accident Lawyer fights to hold insurers completely liable.
Contact a California Bicycle Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Maison Law of Los Angeles offers a free case consultation to all bicycle accident victims. It’s a necessary step to find out how much your injury may be worth and what you should be demanding from an at-fault driver’s car insurance company. Insurance companies may claim that an accident can be blamed on fog, but that’s an excuse that usually doesn’t hold up in court.
After a cycling accident involving fog, riders will need a skilled legal representative to prove a driver behaved recklessly and caused an accident. This allows cyclists to hold an insurance company fully responsible and to earn what’s fair in compensation for recovery.
California Bicycle Accident Dangers in Fog
Careless drivers often say they don’t see the cyclists they hit, but that’s usually an excuse for drivers who drive distracted and don’t keep their focus on the lanes ahead. Unfortunately, fog makes it even more likely that an unfocused driver won’t see a rider.
A strike from a car on a foggy day can subject a rider to an impact with a vehicle and then a second impact with the pavement. In fog, there’s always the danger that a rider will be left on a foggy road where other drivers will approach blindly and strike the victim a second time.
To avoid the dangers reckless drivers present in the fog, it’s best for cyclists to stay home when it’s foggy out. But it’s not always easy to predict when fog will roll in. When riding along the California coast or in the mountains, patches of fog develop out of nowhere.
I Love Bicycling suggests taking several precautions if you plan to be out when there’s a chance of fog. They largely involve staying as visible as possible.
- Wear brightly colored clothing.
- Install flashing lights on the front and back of your bike.
- Make sure your shoes and pedals have reflectors on them.
These safety measures might prevent some collisions, but when you do get hit, you don’t want to be facing thousands of dollars in medical bills alone. An insurance company may claim that mother nature is to blame, but your California Bicycle Accident Lawyer will have strong evidence prepared to hold a careless driver fully responsible.
Liability in California Bicycle Accidents In Foggy Conditions
Drivers may want to claim that fog and poor visibility caused them to strike a defenseless cyclist, but that excuse usually doesn’t protect them. That’s because motorists are legally responsible for traveling at speeds “safe for conditions” when roads get icy or foggy.
This means that the posted speed limit no longer applies in these situations. Cars must be slowed enough to guarantee that drivers won’t hit anyone else using the road. That speed limit can be 25 mph or even 5 mph when visibility extends only a few feet. When motorists collide with bicyclists, it’s usually determined that they were going faster than they should have been.
That’s why a skilled California Bicycle Accident Lawyer will challenge any insurance adjuster that tries to blame a foggy day after a rider has been hurt.
What to Do on the Scene of Your Bicycle Collision on a Foggy Day
After a serious bicycle accident involving a motor vehicle, it’s critical to comb the scene for important evidence that can prove a driver’s fault. This is especially important in an accident that occurs in foggy conditions. That proof will be a strong defense when an auto insurance company tries to shift the blame to the weather.
If you are left physically strong enough, try to see to your safety and try to collect these details:
- Immediately try to get off the road if you are able to. Avoid getting struck by another approaching car. Turn on an emergency light if you have one.
- Call 911. Get checked out by paramedics and leave in the ambulance if necessary.
- Give the Police a full report. Tell officers everything you can remember about what happened. Note if you saw the driver acting recklessly or going too fast in the fog.
- Take pictures of the damage to your bike and to the vehicle involved. Only move around once the scene is secure. Show broken glass and skid marks on the road. Show your injuries. Show a bike helmet if you were wearing one. Take pictures that show the weather.
- Get contact information from any witnesses.
- Don’t throw out your damaged bike and clothing. Keep them for evidence.
What Can I Receive Compensation for After a Bicycle Accident?
After a frightening bicycle accident in the fog, you could face weeks of recovery and even a long-term injury. Your care now and any care needed in the years to come must be considered when negotiating with a car insurance company.
Every hardship you and your family face must be included in a bicycle injury claim. Your California bicycle accident attorney will back each damage you list with documentation and powerful evidence.
These items all factor into negotiations when your Maison Law representative fights to earn a fair bicycle injury settlement:
- Past and future medical bills and rehabilitation costs.
- Estimated costs of medical care, home care, and loss of earning capacity related to a permanent disability.
- Pain and suffering. This factors the patient’s physical pain and emotional trauma suffered in a bicycle wreck and during a difficult recovery. The loss of enjoyment of life would also have to be considered. This may include the frustration of being off a bicycle for months.
- Past and future lost earnings while the victim is out of work.
- Repairs to bicycle or replacement.
- Wrongful Death Bicycle Accident Claim. Families who have lost a loved one to a bicycle accident can seek support to pay for a burial and to help replace the income the deceased can no longer provide.
Contact a California Bicycle Accident Lawyer After a Crash In Foggy Conditions
Bicycle collision victims and their families have up to two years to file an accident claim. However, it’s critical to bring your case to a California Bicycle Accident Attorney as soon as possible. The longer you wait the more difficult it gets to track down evidence and locate witnesses. In an accident during foggy conditions, you’ll need this proof to make sure an at-fault driver can’t use the weather as an excuse.
Maison Law is a strong advocate for ride safety for all cyclists. We offer a free consultation for all bicycle accident victims. It’s a no-risk way to find out what your bicycle accident injury is worth and what you should be holding an insurance company to. If you decide we can help you earn more for your bicycle injury claim, you won’t need any upfront money. We don’t get paid unless we win your case for you.