Hollister is a great place to live and is applauded as a safe city for families, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t hazards to watch out for.
A reckless driver along Highway 25 or Meridian Street might ram your car or motorcycle. You could suffer a dog bite wound at the Bark Park at Hollister Wayside Park. You or a loved one could be injured in the workplace, especially on a dangerous construction site and or while working on a farm.
These are all examples of personal injury accidents where someone’s carelessness could leave you to face a long and expensive medical recovery. If you or a loved one are hurt, you should know that these at-fault parties can be held liable for every hospital bill you receive and every injury hardship endured.
A Free Consultation for Hollister Accident Victims
After a serious accident in San Benito County, you should be free to focus on healing from injuries and rebuilding your life. Unfortunately, the doctor bills and rehab expenses arriving in your mailbox might leave you with overwhelming financial stress and worry while still trying to recover.
If someone’s negligence caused your accident, you shouldn’t be facing these expenses alone. But estimating what you’ll need to get back on your feet and securing an adequate settlement check from an insurance company will prove difficult.
Contact us before speaking with any insurance representative. Maison Law of Hollister offers a free consultation to all victims. It’s a chance to find out what your injury may be worth. You’ll also stay informed on the tactics insurance adjusters use to rob victims and their families of fair compensation.
Personal Injury And Car Accident Dangers in Hollister
There are many types of personal injury cases that can earn victims financial support as they recover. By far the most common injury risk Hollister families face is getting hurt in a traffic collision.
Travel on San Benito County roads gets busy at times. Our two-lane highways and narrow streets carry more traffic than they were designed for. They also carry added dangers when motorists get careless.
Maison Law represents Hollister car accident victims, but we also help the victims of many other types of accidents seek financial support. These are just a few of the different types of cases we handle:
- San Benito County Car Accidents – Car occupants, motorcycle riders, pedestrians, and cyclists are all common victims of careless drivers. Victims may be struck on a small street in Hollister or San Juan Bautista or be hit and run off the road along Highway 156. These impacts cause severe injuries and victims must act as soon as possible to hold a driver’s auto accident insurance provider fully accountable.
- Workplace Accidents — San Benito County is known for its fertile fields and farmworkers often get hurt while growing apricots, grapes, and olives or taking care of livestock. Employers and farm owners are liable for the victim’s wellbeing as they recover from injury. Construction and packing plant workers and employees in any other profession can be hurt when they aren’t provided with safe work environments.
- Slip-and-Fall Injuries — Big box stores, supermarkets, and any public business owes you a “duty of care.” Under premises liability, San Benito County property or business owners must provide customers, clients, and tenants with safe passage through their stores and properties. When they leave puddles on floors for people to slip on, they can be completely liable. If an apartment landlord or management company leaves a broken handrail on a set of stairs and you fall and get hurt, they should be responsible.
- Dog Bites – California is a “strict liability” state. This means that the owners of dogs are held liable for bites, regardless of whether the dog has shown dangerous behavior before. That owner should provide for the care of a victim’s bite wound and physical therapy to restore function to a hand or ankle.
- Wrongful Death Benefits — Sadly, the negligence of others can lead to the loss of life. You may lose a loved one in a tragic accident. California allows family members to seek financial support through a wrongful death claim. A family member or a Hollister Personal Injury Lawyer representing the family can file this civil claim. It would ask for money to pay funeral bills and any remaining medical fees. The family should also receive reimbursement for the wages the deceased would have provided in the years ahead.
What to Do After an Accident in Hollister to Get the Most Out of Your Injury Claim
Your Hollister personal injury attorney will be investigating your accident and making sure you have all the proof you need to hold an insurance company accountable. But your attorney can’t be there at the site of your accident in the moments after it happens.
It’ll be up to you to collect valuable details for your case that can only be found on the scene. If you are physically able, try to gather these details for your case:
- Call 911 if you are injured and inform EMTs of every place you feel pain. You may be instructed to go to the emergency room. If you must leave the scene, ask someone with you to help you collect evidence. See your own physician in the days after an accident and document all injuries.
- Always contact the local police or the California Highway Patrol immediately after a car accident no matter how minor you feel your accident is. Investigators will write a collision report that will serve as valuable evidence.
- Get Photos. Take pictures of everything involved in your accident including the damage to cars. If you were in a slip-and-fall or trip-and-fall incident, take photos of the obstacle that left you on the ground. This hazard will be quickly removed once you leave. Get images of any visible injuries.
- Talk to witnesses. Get contact information to provide to your San Benito County Personal Injury Lawyer.
- In the case of an accident on someone else’s property, allow a manager or property owner to write up an incident report. This report is often valuable evidence for your side.
- Don’t talk over what happened with the at-fault party. Making statements like “I’m okay” or “my bad” will hurt your case later. In the shock of what’s happened, you likely won’t know how badly you are hurt or have a good idea of who is at fault.
- Contact a Hollister personal injury attorney. Insurance companies will attempt many tactics to try to lower your expectations of what you should receive on a settlement check. They’ll throw blame your way and question how badly you are hurt. Your attorney deflects all of these personal attacks. Your attorney builds a strong case for you and turns up the pressure on insurance companies to support the victims of their policyholders. In fact, you may not have to deal with an insurance company or opposing lawyers at all if your case is in the hands of a skilled lawyer.
What Type of Financial Support Can I Receive After a San Benito County Accident?
After a car crash, a dog bite, or any other accident, it’s critical to make sure an at-fault party’s insurance provider is held fully liable. To do this, you’ll have to make sure every hardship you’ve faced is included in the claim filed against the insurance company.
These damages you’ve endured must be accurately and thoroughly listed or you could end up paying for recovery costs out of your own pocket.
These are just a few of the things that will play a major role in your settlement amount:
- The totals on your hospital and physical therapy expenses.
- The estimated costs for future medical and home care if you suffer a long-term injury or a permanent physical disability.
- Travel costs while visiting doctors and surgeons. This includes the cost of shuttle services if you can’t be on your feet or drive.
- Non-economic damages such as the physical pain and emotional trauma you endure. This includes depression and anxiety and a loss of enjoyment of life due to your injuries.
- Past and future lost earnings.
- Damage or destruction of property.
How Long Do I Have to File My Claim in California?
California permits the victims of personal injury up to two years from the date of the accident to file an injury claim. If you let this deadline slip away, you forfeit your opportunity to sue an at-fault driver or a property owner. Your recovery costs will be your responsibility.
Acting quickly gives your San Benito County Personal Injury Lawyer the best chance to build a strong case that insurance companies can’t question. In the days after your accident, evidence can still be found and witnesses are easily located. If you wait months or even a year or more, evidence and documents can be hard to secure and witnesses can move away.
Frequently Asked Questions
What if my family member is hurt by a product I bring into my home?
Product liability is another form of personal injury case. If an appliance malfunctions and harms your family or something improperly installed hurts you, you can sue the store or business and the manufacturer of the product.
Should I give a recorded statement to insurance representatives?
No. Insurance adjusters will call you after an injury and ask to record you while you describe how it happened. Refuse. These recordings can be twisted to hurt your claim later. Allow your attorney to field all phone calls regarding your case.
Can I receive compensation even if I was partially responsible for my accident?
Yes. California follows the legal concept of comparative negligence. It means that everyone involved in an accident can share in the blame. You could still receive help with your recovery costs, minus the percentage of liability assigned to you.
Contact a Hollister Personal Injury Lawyer
If you have been seriously injured or lost a loved one because of the negligence of another person or party in San Benito County, take action as soon as possible.
Discuss your case with attorney Martin Gasparian, the founder of Maison Law, in a free, no-risk consultation. Mr. Gasparian worked for major corporations and dealt with some of the biggest insurers in the world. He now uses his inside knowledge to make sure everyday people aren’t taken advantage of by corporate lawyers and insurance adjusters.