At Maison Law, our attorneys offer representation to victims of life-altering California bicycle accidents. We believe that a responsible party should be held liable for the harm that they cause a bicyclist no matter if it was intentional or not. An injured bicyclist should be able to return to their everyday lifestyle and afford to pay the many bills that pile up after their accident. We offer you a free and completely no-obligation case consultation so that you can get started on moving forward with a claim after a bicycle accident.
Road Conditions That Cause Bicycle Accidents
Bicyclists have the right to utilize roads in California just as drivers of passenger vehicles do. This means that roads should always be properly maintained so that they are kept safe for bicyclists. However, some California cities fail to accommodate bicyclists, which means that a serious accident could happen on any given road. Some types of road hazards that cause bicycle accidents include the following:
- Potholes that result from wear and tear on a road
- Sewer grates with bars running the same way as traffic, making it easier for bicyclists to fall into them
- Cracks and damage to sidewalks where bicyclists ride
Is a City Responsible for Injuries Caused by a Bicycle Accident?
If you are injured due to a poorly maintained road or sidewalk while on your bicycle, a municipality could be responsible for the harm you have suffered. Cities are supposed to follow a standard duty of care to protect riders and drivers from harm by maintaining roads and sidewalks. This means that they are supposed to do the following:
- Properly inspect and maintain the roads and sidewalks periodically
- Provide areas for cyclists to ride on streets alongside vehicles
- Provide warnings when road hazards are present
- Enforce safety between cyclists and motorists on the roads
Here’s an example of an accident where a city municipality could be liable: Let’s say that you were riding along and your bicycle drove into a pothole, causing you to fall off the bike onto the ground. As a result, you suffered multiple broken bones. The city could be liable for your damages if you can show that the pothole was there for a period of time and the city should have taken measures to correct the adverse condition. You may be able to collect information like witness statements, surveillance of the area, and more to back up your claim.
Damages Available in a Bicycle Accident
After a California bicycle accident, you have the right to hold a responsible party liable for the harm that they have caused you in an accident. You may be eligible to receive the following damages after a bicycle accident:
- Help with medical expenses that you have incurred and those anticipated in the years to come
- Loss of income and future lost wages
- Permanent disability and lifetime costs associated with the injury
- Pain and suffering
- Compensation for loss of enjoyment of life
- Therapy costs
- Wrongful death benefits if a life was lost
Contact a California Bicycle Accident Lawyer Today
At Maison Law, we understand how overwhelming it can be to face the aftermath of a California bicycle accident. We believe that you should act quickly to retain your rights after an accident, which is why we will work to ensure that your claim is filed before deadlines need to be met. We offer you a completely free legal consultation. Please contact us today to find out how we can assist you.