Focused on getting our clients the compensation they need...

School Bus Crashes: What a Parent Should Do

More than 23.5 million children ride a school bus every day. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), children are much safer in a school bus than they are in a car. It’s true that school buses are not involved in as many collisions as cars, but school bus crashes still occur. As a parent, it’s important to understand what you should do if your child is injured in a school bus accident.

What To Do Immediately After A School Bus Accident

If your child was injured in a school bus accident, it’s important to take them to the emergency room or doctor’s office as soon as possible. This is true even if it seems your child has not suffered serious injuries. The symptoms may not appear for hours after the accident, so it’s best to seek medical attention now instead of waiting for the injury to worsen.

If possible, take photos at the scene of the accident. Photograph property damage, other vehicles involved in the accident, and anything else that may seem relevant.

Make sure you hold onto documentation related to the accident, such as your child’s medical records and receipts that show expenses you incurred as a result of your child’s injuries.

Next, contact a personal injury attorney who has experience representing clients who have been injured in school bus accidents. These cases are extremely complex, so you will need an attorney to help you recover compensation for your child’s injuries.

Recovering Compensation After A School Bus Accident

School buses are typically owned and operated by school districts. This means the school district could be held liable if the accident occurred as a result of the bus driver’s negligence. School districts are government entities, which means you won’t file a claim with an insurance company. Instead, you will need to file a notice of claim to the appropriate government agency. This document should include your contact information, a summary of what happened, a detailed description of the government’s role in the accident, and a request for a specific amount of compensation.

The government will decide whether to reject or accept your claim based on the content in this notice. It’s best to let an attorney write the notice of claim to ensure the government has the information it needs to accept your claim. If the claim is rejected, an attorney can file a lawsuit and fight for the compensation your child deserves in court.

If your child has been injured in a school bus accident, contact experienced personal injury attorney Martin Gasparian at once. Mr. Gasparian has helped countless clients successfully recover compensation from government entities. Now, he is ready to fight on behalf of your child. Schedule a free consultation regarding your case by calling 559-203-3333 or submitting your information at


Fill out the simple form below and we will be in touch.

or you can call us 24/7 or send us a direct email.