Focused on getting our clients the compensation they need...

Handling a Personal Injury Case After a Hit-and-Run in Bakersfield

California is a fault state when it comes to car accidents. This means if two parties are involved in a car accident, their insurance companies will need to look at the evidence to determine who caused the accident. Then, the at-fault party is responsible for compensating the victim for injuries they sustained in the crash. But what happens if your injuries were sustained in a hit-and-run accident? Can you still recover compensation even though you don’t know the identity of the driver? Here’s what you should know:

What To Do Immediately Following A Hit-and-Run Accident in Bakersfield

You should call 9-1-1 before leaving the scene of the accident even if you are not seriously injured. Discuss the details of the accident with the police officer who responds to the scene.

Make sure you tell the police officer anything that you remember about the car that fled the scene even if it seems like a minor detail. For example, if you saw a bumper sticker on the car as it sped away, let the police officer know. This detail may seem insignificant, but it could help law enforcement identify the driver.

Take pictures prior to leaving the scene of the accident so you can document as much evidence as possible. Make sure you snap pictures of property damage, including any paint from the other vehicle that rubbed off on your car during the collision.

If someone witnessed the accident, ask for their contact information as well. Your attorney may need to speak to them to find out what they saw.

How to Recover Compensation For Your Injuries

It may be possible to recover compensation for your hit-and-run injuries even if you don’t know the identity of the driver who fled the scene of the accident. Review your insurance policy to determine if you have uninsured motorist coverage. This type of insurance is designed to pay for injuries and property damage caused by an uninsured driver. But, it also covers hit-and-run accidents. If you have uninsured motorist coverage, you will need to file a claim with your insurance company to recover compensation.

Don’t go through this process alone. The insurance adjuster may use a number of tactics to lower the value of your claim or deny it altogether. You deserve compensation for your hit-and-run injuries, and an attorney can help you secure it.

Have you been injured in a hit-and-run accident in Bakersfield? Martin Gasparian is an experienced personal injury attorney who is committed to helping hit-and-run victims recover the compensation they deserve. Schedule a free consultation regarding your case by calling 559-203-3333 or submitting your information at


Fill out the simple form below and we will be in touch.

or you can call us 24/7 or send us a direct email.