Since 2015, California ranked 12th in the nation for the number of uninsured motorists, estimating that one in every 8 drivers are operating a motor-vehicle without insurance coverage. Even more are driving with less than the required amount of insurance. This is why having car insurance coverage for uninsured and underinsured motorists is important. Even if the other party in an accident is found liable, you will still be covered by your own insurance. Twenty states in the US have mandatory requirements for this purchasing this type of coverage, while half the states are developing or already using online verification systems that identify these uninsured drivers. While each state has varying requirements for minimum legal insurance coverage, California requires bodily injury liability and property damage liability. California also requires drivers to carry proof of insurance on them when driving. The law refers to insurance coverage as evidence of “financial responsibility.”
Steps After a Car Accident with an Uninsured Driver
Any car accident is unsettling, even if everyone has insurance and there is no question of coverage. What do you do when the other party causes an accident, but they aren’t covered? How do you make sure your damages are fully covered? Here are the steps to take when you an uninsured party causes your car accident in Fresno:
- Get medical attention -If you are injured, it’s important to get checked out right away.
- Call the police -It’s important in any accident to have a detailed report of the incident filed with law enforcement. This is always important, but even more so when the other party has no insurance. You will need documentation of the police officer’s determination of who is at fault. Without that, it is more difficult to prove liability of the other driver.
- Photos and scene documentation -Take as many photos as necessary to show the damage to both vehicles, to the surrounding area and any other property damage. Photograph and document your injuries. This includes getting copies of your medical reports and bills.
- Contact information – Exchange contact information with the other driver, but also gather info from any witnesses at the scene.
- Contact your insurance company – Be sure of your coverage for uninsured or under-insured drivers. If you don?t have it, ask the insurance company about the next steps they follow.
- Get a Fresno attorney involved – Because ordinances and procedures vary for authorities from town to town, it?s wise to hire an attorney who practices in the area of the accident. They may likely arrive on site more easily and will be able to guide you through how to make sure you are compensated based on those laws, even with an uninsured driver.
The Maison Law Firm will help quell your anxiety about dealing with an uninsured driver by making sure your full expenses are addressed. We know how to get the most from your insurance claims coverage, but also what the next step will be for uninsured situations. You can trust us to be on your side and make sure the other driver doesn’t avoid their responsibilities. You have a lot to lose without getting the right help, so don’t risk it. Call us as soon as possible for your free consultation.