While the purpose of California’s pedestrian laws is to protect the safety of pedestrians, there are certain safety precautions that pedestrians should take to minimize the risk of personal injury:
· When walking or jogging, plan in advance and consider weather conditions, traffic, routes, and geographic obstacles.
· Use sidewalks when available.
· Stay aware of the lines of vision of those with whom you share the road and never assume any motorist or other cyclists can see them clearly.
· Never assume other motorists or cyclists are going to stop at a red light. Always wait until a vehicle reaches a complete stop before proceeding.
· Limit distractions such as a cell phone or headphones.
· Wear bright clothing, especially at night, to ensure that you are visible to everyone on the road.
· Before crossing the street, look left, right, and then left again.
· Children should always be accompanied by adults when walking on public roadways.
· Walk in groups in remote, dangerous, or poorly-lit areas.
· Walk on the left side of the road facing traffic when no sidewalk is available, and yield to vehicles when on the roadway.
There are also certain safety precautions that bicyclists should take when riding on the streets, roads, and highways of California:
· Obey all traffic laws under California law.
· Unless making a left turn, stay as close as possible to the right side of the road when there is more than one lane marked for travel in that direction and travel in the same direction as the rest of traffic.
· Use hand signals when preparing to turn or stop.
· When riding between sunset and sunrise utilize a front lamp and rear and side reflectors that are viewable from at least 500 feet away.
Maison law’s years of representing clients in all types of personal injury cases, give the firm extensive knowledge and experience litigating and settling personal injury matters. Maison Law passionately provides skilled representation and effective advocacy on behalf of all our clients. If you have any questions about any type of personal injury matter, call Maison Law and Martin Gasparian today. The experience of Maison Law helps us provide skilled, zealous representation on behalf of every client. Call Maison Law 24/7 at (559) 203-3333.