Fresno motorcyclists can take a hit from a careless driver they didn’t even see coming. They may be on the ground in shock or in pain when they hear the responsible driver speeding away. The rider has just become the victim of a heartbreaking hit-and-run accident.
The victim may feel very alone at this point and in the days ahead may begin to worry about who will be paying the bills for emergency room treatment and a hospital stay. Motorcyclists struck by a hit-and-run driver don’t have to give up hope of receiving full compensation for their recovery.
It’s important that they give themselves the best chance of securing the support they need by talking with a Fresno hit-and-run motorcycle accident attorney. A free consultation with Maison Law leaves victims informed of the benefits available to them and the best way to secure that support from unhelpful insurance adjusters.
Fresno Motorcycle Hit-And-Run Accident Dangers
Fresno County recorded 216 motorcycle accidents involving injury in 2021. According to California’s Transportation Injury Mapping System (TIMS) at least 13 of those incidents involved a felony hit-and-run.
The choice to leave a defenseless rider at the scene of an accident can greatly reduce the chance of a victim surviving. Motorcyclists may have to wait on a life-saving ambulance response if the hit-and-run driver doesn’t report the crash and there are no witnesses.
Riders may also be left in the path of other drivers who could approach the scene without knowing an injured person is in the roadway. The victim could get hit multiple times and receive further traumatic injuries.
Of course, hit-and-run drivers often run to avoid the consequences of a major accident. The medical bills can be enormous, and victims and their families are often held responsible for every dime when an at-fault driver doesn’t stay to accept responsibility.
For these reasons and more, it’s critical to have a skilled Fresno Motorcycle Accident Lawyer on your side to help inform you of your options if the driver is never found or if the hit-and-run suspect is arrested. There are ways victims can seek much-needed compensation in either case, and an experienced attorney makes sure neither you nor your family misses faces the cost of recovery alone.
Can I Get Motorcycle Accident Injury Support if a Hit-And-Run Driver is Involved?
California protects victims of hit-and-run drivers by allowing them to seek insurance support even if a hit-and-run driver is never tracked down.
Fresno motorcycle accident victims will usually have two paths to seeking compensation after being targeted by a hit-and-run driver:
- The Hit-and-Run driver isn’t caught. The motorcyclist can seek compensation for medical costs, lost wages, and other hardships. Victims would file a claim against their own motorcycle insurance company. Compensation would come from the victim’s uninsured motorist coverage. Remember that even your own insurance company will seek to limit what you receive in support. A Fresno motorcycle accident attorney would work to secure what’s fair for you.
- The hit-and-run driver is apprehended. Now an injury claim can be filed against the driver’s auto insurance company. The suspect will be involved in a criminal trial, but the motorcyclist could file a civil claim separately and hopefully secure vital support much sooner no matter where criminal proceedings stood.
For families who have tragically lost a loved one to a deadly hit-and-run motorcycle accident, both of these options for seeking support are open. Close relatives would file a wrongful death claim with either the driver’s insurance provider or their own.
Families would seek help with burial costs and paying any remaining hospital bills and ambulance fees. They could also demand help to protect the family in the future when they’ll have to make do without the care and financial support the deceased can no longer provide.
Common Injuries in a Fresno Motorcycle Accident
Community Regional Medical Center doctors have treated everything from a few scrapes all the way up to the most traumatic injuries after a motorcycle collision.
These are just some of the most common serious injuries after Fresno motorcycle accidents:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI) – Motorcyclists can strike their heads on vehicles and on the pavement. A traumatic brain injury could cause a mild concussion or something more serious like seizures, numbness in extremities, and even amnesia. Skulls can even fracture in impacts and send bone fragments into the brain to cause brain damage.
- Bone Fractures – The arms, wrists, legs, and ankle bones are commonly broken in motorcycle impacts. The clavicles (collarbones) and the sternum (breastbone) are also easily fractured.
- Amputation – Motorcyclists can lose arms and legs in the blunt force of the collision or after being run over by a heavy vehicle. A limb might stay intact but have to be surgically removed in the hospital to save a patient’s life.
- Paralysis – An accident may result in a temporary loss of control of the body or cause a permanent disability. Spine or brain injuries can have long-term consequences on someone’s family and work life.
- Internal Organ Damage – Rib bones might also be fractured and can puncture the lungs and other internal organs. The tissue that holds organs in place may also be damaged.
- Facial and Tooth Injury – Motorcyclists can be sent face-first to the pavement. The nose can be broken and lead to permanent disfigurement. Teeth can get knocked loose. Permanent scars could be left on the victim’s face.
- Road Rash – Motorcycle accident victims are at risk of serious skin abrasion. These deep scrapes can lead to disfigurement and terrible infections.
Compensation Available to Fresno Hit-And-Run Motorcycle Accident Victims
After these frightening outcomes and others, it’s important that motorcycle accident victims receive the financial support they need to pay for the best medical care available. A Fresno motorcycle hit-and-run accident lawyer seeks compensation for every hospital bill now and the physical therapy bills to come.
The paychecks and benefits victims lose while out of work should be restored. The physical pain and the emotional turmoil caused by a serious accident and injury should earn an additional financial award. A skilled lawyer also lists other hardships in a motorcycle injury claim in order to earn victims the most support possible.
Contact a Fresno Motorcycle Hit-and-Run Accident Lawyer
A hit-and-run accident can leave you facing off with several different insurance companies just to secure basic assistance with your recovery bills. Don’t face off against unhelpful insurance adjusters on your own. You can end up with far less than you need to pay doctor’s bills and get back to the motorcycle rides you love.
Take advantage of a free consultation session with a real Fresno motorcycle accident lawyer at Maison Law. Martin Gasparian, the founder of Maison Law, goes to work immediately to identify who should be providing you with compensation and then shows you the path to maximizing your settlement money.
If you decide we can help you get the most out of your motorcycle accident injury claim, you won’t need any upfront money. We don’t get paid unless we win your case.