Fresno’s eastern and southern boundaries are lined by a highway notorious for speeders and careless drivers. That dangerous route is Highway 99, also known as The Golden State Highway.
Local motorists heading for work or to school in Fresno can mix in with travelers from all over California to create extreme traffic levels during the rush hours. Drivers and their passengers are commonly put at risk as high-speed accidents unfold on Highway 99 daily.
When these crashes occur, it’s critical that victims get the best medical care available and that they are never left to pay the bills for this care. Always take advantage of a free consultation with a Fresno Highway 99 Car Accident Lawyer to find out how to keep an insurance company from robbing your family of compensation.
Highway 99 Accident Dangers in Fresno
Highway 99’s six or more lanes of traffic are often the sites of careless lane changes and aggressive driving. The hazards only grow when Highway 99 merges with other busy Fresno thoroughfares like Highway 180 or Ashlan Avenue.
The toll on victims and their families is apparent when you examine the yearly accident numbers for Fresno County. In 2021, the county recorded over 3,500 vehicle accidents involving an injury. Those accidents led to 140 tragic deaths.
When looking at just the accidents happening along Highway 99, the figures reveal 247 accidents in Fresno County in 2021 and at least 13 fatalities.
These accidents leave victims to often face long, difficult recoveries usually accompanied by enormous medical bills and lost time at work. In the worst cases, families can be left to mourn the loss of a loved one.
In these instances, victims and their families should seek a case evaluation from a skilled Fresno Car Accident Lawyer. Victims and close relatives will want to ensure they protect themselves by getting the most out of a Fresno car accident insurance claim.
What to Do After a Car Accident on Highway 99 in Fresno
Your lawyer won’t be with you in the minutes after a crash occurs, but that’s when the strongest evidence can be gathered. If you are physically up to it, you should collect important details on the scene:
- Call for police and an ambulance. Dial 911 no matter how minor you think your accident and injuries are. Get examined by EMTs. Give a full report to officers on what happened. Give them details about what you saw the driver doing before you were hit.
- Take photos of the accident scene. If you must leave for the hospital, ask someone with you or a helpful witness to take photos. Show damage to cars and any visible injuries victims may have. Show any lane markings or speed limit signs nearby. Take pictures of visible injuries.
- Swap information with other drivers. Fresno Police or the Highway Patrol may help you with this. Don’t discuss who was to blame or how badly you are hurt with drivers. You may unknowingly give what turns out to be a false statement. These statements can be used against you by insurance adjusters.
- Talk to witnesses. Get their contact information. Find out if anyone had a dashcam rolling.
- Get checked out by your doctor. Get all injuries documented. Follow the doctor’s orders. Attend physical therapy and see specialists if asked to do so.
Compensation Available After a Fresno Car Accident
You’ll be submitting a list of every hardship you and your family have endured to the at-fault driver’s auto insurance provider. Anything not included on this list won’t earn you compensation. You shouldn’t want to pay even a cent out of your own pocket for someone else’s mistake.
Your Highway 99 car accident lawyer will work to include every cost you’ve endured and estimates on costs you may face in the months ahead. Your lawyer will also include damages you may not have thought of yourself:
- Hospital and medical expenses now and accurate estimates for care anticipated in the future. The estimated expenses faced when living with a permanent disability over a lifetime would be included in your claim.
- Wages and benefits lost while the victim has been forced to miss time at work.
- Travel to and from medical appointments. This can be a large bill when victims are off their feet and even in wheelchairs. The costs of visiting out-of-city specialists.
- Physical discomfort. The difficulties that come along with the pain of an injury such as insomnia, loss of mental focus, and fatigue.
- Emotional trauma. The onset of anxiety and depression caused by an impact or by a difficult recovery plan.
- Loss of enjoyment of life. The inability to participate in family activities or favorite hobbies. The anguish of missing out on vacations.
- Loss of consortium. The spouse or domestic partner of the victim files a claim over the loss of intimacy with the victim.
- Money for car repairs or replacement. Reimbursement for personal property damage.
- Wrongful death benefits. A spouse, domestic partner, children of the victim and others may file this claim on behalf of the family. The claim asks for help with funeral costs and the income the deceased can no longer provide the family in the years to come.
Contact a Fresno Highway 99 Car Accident Lawyer
After a serious accident involving a careless driver on Highway 99 through Fresno County or anywhere in Central Valley, please rely on an experienced Fresno traffic accident attorney. A skilled attorney handles the most frustrating parts of an insurance claim and rejects “lowball” insurance settlement offers until they provide what’s fair to you.
Take advantage of a free case consultation from Martin Gasparian, the founder of Maison Law. This evaluation comes with no obligation to you or your family. If you do decide we can help you maximize your insurance settlement check, you won’t need any money now. Our attorneys don’t get paid unless we win your case.