A hit and run bicycle accident is among the most common that you will come across in Fresno. This is due to the fact that drivers mistakenly believe (or simply don’t care) to stay at the scene when they collide with a person on a bicycle. While most drivers are aware of their responsibilities during an accident with another car, the same rules apply for an accident with a bicycle. In fact, not only are the responsibilities the same, but the laws and punishments involving hit and run accidents also apply to bicycle accidents.
Still, just because these laws are in place doesn’t mean every driver will follow them. Hit and run accidents are incredibly frustrating and demoralizing, because recovering from your injuries and damages likely depends on filing a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance. Hit and run accidents can, and often do, take that away. But hit and run bicycle accidents aren’t a lost cause.
Fresno Hit and Run Bicycle Accident Lawyers Can Help You
At Maison Law, our team of dedicated and dogged Fresno hit and run bicycle accident lawyers know how to approach these claims. Whether it be tracking down the at-fault driver or shifting to helping you with a claim with your own insurance policy, we can make sure you have what you need to begin the recovery process.
If you have been in a hit and run bicycle accident in Fresno, don’t hesitate to contact us today for a free consultation.
Hit and Run Accident Law in Fresno
In Fresno, when a driver causes an accident and they flee the scene, they will have broken the law. Specifically, Section 20002 of the California Vehicle Code outlines both felony and misdemeanor punishments for hit and run accidents. A hit and run accident carries fines of up to $10,000 and between one and four years in prison, depending on the severity of the accident.
The law not only outlines the punishments for fleeing the scene of an accident, it also definitively lays out what a driver is supposed to do when they cause or are otherwise involved in an accident:
- The driver must immediately stop their vehicle.
- The driver must provide the injured party with their name and address.
- The driver must provide their driver’s license and car registration.
Thus, the law is very clear. When a driver causes an accident, they have to stop their vehicle and provide the injured person with their identifying and insurance information to assist in the claims process. If a driver fails to do any of the above, they will have committed a hit and run.
Can I Recover Damages In a Fresno Hit and Run Bicycle Accident?
Obviously, the main challenge in any hit and run accident is getting information from the at-fault driver. The very nature of hit and run accidents make this extremely difficult, but not impossible. Luckily, even if you can’t locate the at-fault driver, you have the ability to recover your damages through your own policies.
To assist in this process, California has minimum coverage requirements for every person that gets behind the wheel of a car. The main difference here is that these minimums only apply to drivers of motor vehicles and not a bicycle. However, there are options here for you as well.
Most often, the following policies can be called upon during a hit and run accident to assist with covering your damages:
- Uninsured motorist (UM) coverage – At minimum, every driver in California must carry liability insurance of: $15,000 per person, $30,000 for more than one person per accident, and at least $5,000 per accident. Additionally, you can opt for an uninsured motorist (UM) policy to cover any instance where you’re either in an accident with a driver that doesn’t have insurance or you can’t find the at-fault driver to get their insurance information. This policy is ideal for a hit and run, since you are sometimes unable to find the at-fault driver.
- Your homeowner’s or renter’s insurance – Another option is to call on your homeowner’s or renter’s insurance. There’s one drawback here, though. This policy will only cover property damage, or the damage to your bike or other equipment. It won’t cover your medical costs, which can begin to quickly add up in a hit and run bicycle accident.
- Health insurance – Most likely, your injuries in a hit and run bicycle accident will need at least minor medical treatment. In order to pay for costs associated with treatment for injuries in these accidents, you can file a claim with your health insurance. Usually, health insurance covers all of the normal forms of treatment that come from these accidents, like doctor’s visits, prescriptions for medication, and even physical therapy.
All told, a hit and run accident is far from an ideal situation. However, working with an experienced Los Angeles hit and run lawyer can help make sure that you get what you’re owed, either through an insurance claim or lawsuit.
Damages in Fresno Hit and Run Bike Accidents
While finding the at-fault driver is the best way to being the claims process and recover your damages from a hit and run bicycle accident, that is sometimes a tall task. Still, having our experienced team at Maison Law to assist with this facet of your claim can be vital. We have years of experience and resources to call on to track down drivers and get their insurance information. However, even if we’re not able to do that, we can help you through the recovery process.
In a hit and run bicycle accident claim, the following damages are available:
- Past and future medical bills
- Past and future lost earnings
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Any permanent disfigurement or disability
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Funeral and burial costs in the event of a wrongful death along with other substantial damages
While any bicycle accident comes with a physical and emotional toll, hit and run bicycle accidents are especially devastating. This is because, above all else, hit and run accidents can leave you powerless and without answers.
Dealing with the unknown in a hit and run accident is definitely one of the most difficult aspects of these claims, but our team of dedicated and compassionate Fresno hit and run bike accident lawyers will be with you every step of the way if you choose to work with us.
Get Help From Fresno Hit and Run Bicycle Accident Lawyers
Hit and run bicycle accidents present unique challenges for victims in Fresno and throughout California. Not only do you have to deal with your injuries and recovery, but also may have to rely on your own insurance to cover the costs, which may not be sufficient to handle everything you need.
Maison Law and our team of dedicated Fresno hit and run bicycle accident lawyers can step in and be there for you in these situations. We have years of experience in these types of accidents and have developed a proven system of helping clients recover what they need to get back on the road to recovery. Moreover, we provide you with support and compassion when you need it the most.
To learn more about how we help you in a Fresno hit and run bicycle accident, contact us for a free consultation.